Monday, August 8, 2016

Question for the Hive Mind: Purple Flower

My mother would like to know what this is, and I have no idea:


Location: shady yard, Iowa. She didn't plant it deliberately but would like more of them. Anybody recognize it?

UPDATE: Thanks.

By the way: Mom acknowledges that it maybe isn't the healthiest larkspur in the world, but considering that she's done nothing to care for it (she never even planted it there in the first place), she figures it's doing pretty well for itself.


6 comments:

Marion said...

Looks a lot like Wild Violet Weed. I've had it in my yard. Not 100% sure, though!

Rod L said...

Looks to me like a struggling Delphinium grandiflorum.

Anonymous said...

It's a larkspur.

Liza said...

I think it looks like the larkspur in my former yard, and like the same flower I mistakenly called a delphinium. Larkspur was closer to the truth.

mr_subjunctive said...

Liza:

Larkspurs are Delphiniums, so you're probably fine.

Unless it was one of the larkspurs that are actually Consolidas.

Aarrgh! Common names! [shakes fist at sky]

The Phytophactor said...

The Phytophactor sides with Mr. subjunctive; it's a Consolida (basically an annual larkspur).