Tuesday, September 20, 2016

Anthurium no. 0317 "Dred"

Dred was divided back in 2014 to make 0596 Alisa Summers, and all signs point to Dred and Alisa being clones of one another. In fact, I can't tell them apart just by looking at pictures of their blooms.

But here, you try. I haven't altered the color on any of these photos. Four are of 0317 Dred, and five are of 0596 Alisa Summers. Which is which?


Here's the story
Of a lovely lady
Who was bringing up three very lovely girls
All of them had hair of gold
like their mother,
The youngest one in curls

It's the story
Of a man named Brady
who was busy with three boys of his own
They were four men
living all together
Yet they were all alone

Till the one day
when the lady met this fellow
And they knew that it was much more than a hunch
That this group must somehow form a family
That's the way we all became the Brady Bunch
The Brady Bunch
The Brady Bunch
That's the way we became
the Brady Bunch

And . . . time's up. Here are the answers:


So.

I don't know why it took Dred so much longer to bloom than Alisa; it's possible that Dred was just the smaller of the two plants after division, and had more rebuilding to do before it could bloom.

In any case. There isn't that much to say about Dred, since I've already talked about Alisa. The blooms are still good, even if they do change to pink a little quickly, and Alisa has been amazingly productive -- I think she's even beaten the record for most blooms at a time, with five. Dred's already up to two simultaneous blooms, and she only started two months ago.

I haven't noticed the new growth being unusually-colored on Alisa, but I did get a picture of a new leaf on Dred.


The mature leaves are oddly textured.


My main objection to Alisa/Dred is that they have longish internodes. Not record-setting or anything, but Alisa has gotten big and floppy enough now that she's inconvenient to water. Dred's significantly smaller, so it will be a while before she reaches the same point, but you can see that it's coming.


I feel like I would also be remiss if I didn't mention Dred's namesake, a drag king I first encountered in the documentary Venus Boyz.1 I found the documentary itself of uneven quality, but Dred's parts were kinda neat. It's surprisingly difficult to find a decent video of Dred on YouTube, but there's one here that is mainly Dred talking about herself and her act, and then there's a blurry video of an actual show, with some awkward edits, here. For anyone who might be interested.


Quick note about a previous post: yesterday, JizzaBella left a comment2 on the post for 0457 JizzaBella. This is the first and only time a queen (or king, for that matter) has acknowledged one of my Anthurium seedlings,3 which I think is pretty cool.

-

1 If you were wondering: "Dred" is a shortening of the given name Mildred Gerestant.
2 I'm assuming the actual JizzaBella is the person who left the comment; no evidence to the contrary, anyway.
3 And JizzaBella is only the second queen that I'm reasonably certain knows that they have a seedling named after them, the first being 0026 Peaches Christ, which incident was described in footnote 3 of this comment.


No comments: